Back to Top
The Best Value legislation, section 208A of the Local Government Act 1989, was introduced in 1999; requiring all Councils apply the principles to all of the services it provides, on or before 31 December 2005.
| The principles state that:
- All services must meet quality and cost standards
- All services must be responsive to community needs
- All services must be accessible to those for whom they are intended
- A council must achieve continuous improvement in its provision of services
- A council must develop a program of regular consultation with its community in relation to the services it provides and
- At least once every year a Council must report to its community on what it has done to ensure that it has given effect to the Best Value Principles.
The ministerial codes guiding the implementation have since been revoked; however the legislation itself remains in place.
In order to provide best value to the community and establish a culture of continuous improvement, we have adopted the Business Excellence Framework.
The Business Excellence Framework is a leadership and management framework that describes the essential elements needed by an organisation to achieve sustainable excellence in service delivery. The framework also creates and supports an environment for continuous improvement.
The framework provides a basis against which Council can monitor its progress towards the achievement of excellence in service delivery.
Given that the framework addresses our key systems and processes, it will be the regularly reviewed to ensure its continuing relevance and usefulness within a changing Council environment.
Best Value at work
In ensuring best value is delivered to the community we have embedded the principles into everyday activities like procurement. Additionally our council and business planning processes have a strong focus on the principles outlined in the legislation.
In the past two years many service reviews were undertaken to identify service enhancements and improvements including:
- Community Transport Program
- Planned Activity Groups
- Arts and Culture
- Statutory Planning
- Waste Services and Recycling
- Family Day Care
- Urban Design
- Customer Service
- Maternal and Child Health
Best Value is not something we do, it is the way we work.
For more information please call 9249 4000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org