Update April 2014
At its Ordinary Council Meeting of 11 March 2014, Council decided to adopt Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendment C158. Read the minutes of the meeting.
Council will lodge the Amendment with the Minister for Planning who will ultimately make a decision on whether to:
- Approve the Amendment;
- Approve the Amendment with changes; or
- Refuse the Amendment.
Council will publicise the decision of the Minister by placing notices in local newspapers, updating the webpage and writing to persons who lodged a submission during the consultation period. In addition, if the Minster for Planning makes any changes to the Amendment, affected residents and land owners will be notified in writing of these changes.
You can search which new residential zone is proposed for your neighbourhood - Interactive Map.
If you require more information about applying for a planning permit under the new residential zones, please contact the City Planning Department on 9249 4000.
The right home in the right zone - Introducing the New Residential Zones to your neighbourhood!
After a six week consultation period, community feedback on the implementation of the Victorian Government’s New Residential Zones across Brimbank in line with Council’s housing strategy, has now closed.
The introduction of the new residential zones provides Council with an opportunity to implement the housing strategy. In general, the new residential zones will be applied in accordance with the three levels of housing change identified in the housing strategy.
- The Neighbourhood Residential Zone (low change) will ensure the protection of valued character and heritage areas, with generally no more than two homes to be built on a block.
- The General Residential Zone (medium change) will allow unit and townhouse development similar to what already occurs in most residential areas.
- The Residential Growth Zone (high change) will allow townhouse and apartment development in areas well serviced by public transport and close to community services.
Search which new residential zone is proposed for your neighbourhood - Interactive Map.
Information sessions were held in all our districts throughout October with an additional session being held in Sunshine on Tuesday 19 November 2013 at Sunshine Harvester Service Centre.
A Council Planning Forum was held on 2 December 2013 to hear those persons who want to present in support of their written submission.
An amendment to the Brimbank Planning Scheme is required in order to introduce the new residential zones and implement the housing strategy.
- Consider all submissions received and make final changes to the proposed Amendment
- Make a decision at an Ordinary Council Meeting in early 2014 about whether to proceed with the Amendment.
Council invited feedback before a decision about the amendment.
Submissions closed on 26 November 2013.
Submissions were received:
Brimbank City Council
PO Box 70
Sunshine VIC 3020