Banner - Register Your Pet

Register Your Pet
The Domestic Animals Act 1994 requires any dog or cat three months of age or over to be registered with the Council in which the pet is kept. Download a Pet Registration form (48KB) or visit one of our Customer Service Centres (Keilor, Sunshine, Watergardens).

All dogs and cats registered for the first time must be microchipped and desexed. You need to show us proof of microchipping and desexing. Names on all paperwork must match including registration form, proof of desexing, microchip paperwork and pension card used for concession.

Registration Fees and Charges
Annual registration fees fall due on April 10. Eligible pension card holders receive 50% off registrations fees.

New pet registrations received after 10th October only attract half registration fees.




Microchipped & Sterilised (proof required)


Cats exempt under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 from any requirement to be microchipped and desexed (proof required)



Life-long tag fee




Microchipped and sterilised (proof required)


Microchipped or sterilised and over 10 years of age


Working Dogs/VCA Registered


Dogs exempt under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 from any requirement to be microchipped and desexed (proof required)


Restricted Breed/Dangerous/Menacing Dog


Custom Dog (tag fee only)


Life-long tag fee


Greyhounds registered with the Greyhound Racing Victoria (does not include GAP dogs)


Assistance Dogs eg. uide Dogs (Proof required)


Pet Registration Renewal
Pay your pet registration renewal by

Microchip and De-Sexing Exemptions
A dog or cat is exempt from microchipping if there is written veterinary advice that the animals's health will be significantly impacted if microchipped.

A dog or cat is exempt from desexing if:

  • The owner conducts a domestic animal business under which dogs or cats are bred or used for breeding purposes;
  • The owner is a current member of an applicable organisation and the animal is registered with that organisation;
  • They are a dangerous dog that is kept as a guard dog for non-residential premises;
  • They are a dangerous dog that has undergone protection training in accordance with any relevant Code of Practice made under section 59 of the Domestic Animals Act;
  • There is written veterinary advice that the health of the dog or cat will be significantly impacted if de-sexed;
  • They are a working or farm dog.

How Many Pets Can I Have?
Each property may have 2 dogs and 2 cats. If you want to keep more than two dogs or two cats, you will need to get a permit.

You need a permit if you have more than six (6) different species of animal or more than the maximum number of animals (see below table).

You need a permit for any agricultural animal unless the land is securely fenced and has a minimum size of 2 hectares for the first animal and a further 0.5 hectares for each additional animal.


Non-farming land:
Maximum number allowed
without a permit





Pigeon (racing)


Pigeon (other than racing)


Poultry (chickens, ducks, geese, peafowl, pheasant, guinea fowl, turkey)



not permitted

 Multiple Pet Permits

Back to Top
Languages for translation Chinese Cantonese Translation Sudanese Translation Dari Translation Karen Translation Spanish Translation Italian Translation Amharic Translation Arabic Translation Turkish Translation Macedonian Translation Greek Translation Vietnamese Translation Croatian translation