The Leading with Vision Draft document has been superseded by the Sunshine Priority Precinct Vision 2050 : Leading with Vision – A City set to shine.
The happened after extensive stakeholder engagement to further refine the vision and priorities for the precinct.
Brimbank will become the powerhouse of Melbourne’s west by 2050, under an ambitious Council proposal designed to leverage major infrastructure projects and generate unprecedented business, job, health, education and social opportunities.
Leading with Vision, Transforming Brimbank Future Priorities 2050 sets out the key projects Council has identified as critical to the future success and growth of Brimbank and the western region.
It is the culmination of extensive community consultation undertaken in late 2019 and key policy directions from over 50 Council and State Government plans and strategies
Key visionary projects include:
- Sunshine becoming Melbourne’s western CBD
- Light Rail along Ballarat Road and other key roads contributing to a more integrated transport network
- Energy Park transformed into a regional sports precinct with a large stadium
- Sunshine Health, Wellbeing and Education Precinct (SHWEP) recognised as a centre of excellence for health, wellbeing, education and research.
- Victoria University St Albans Campus expanded to provide greater education opportunities
- Calder Park Drive interchange upgraded to deliver a first class urban freeway environment
- Sydenham Park becoming a major tourist attraction
- Brimbank city and community producing zero net emissions
Extensive planning, research and engagement has identified a pathway for Brimbank’s evolution to a future city that is ambitious while also being realistic, desirable and positive.
From August 2020 to February 2021, Council will undertake targeted stakeholder engagement including with State Government, key institutions, landowners, industry and business as well as the wider community.
The development of Leading with Vision, Transforming Brimbank Future Priorities is another major step in the implementation of the Brimbank Response Strategy to the Western Rail Plan, including the Melbourne Airport Rail and Sunshine Super Hub – Brimbank Response Strategy, adopted by Council in June 2019.
Brimbank Council has undertaken preliminary design work to understand how a future Sunshine Super Hub and redeveloped Albion Station could energise and revitalise the Sunshine CBD.
This has included looking at different scenarios for the location and function of the Sunshine Station and investigations of Albion Station.
These options are indicative and exploratory only and further work is needed on the state-led project to determine the best outcome for our community and the western region.