Brimbank has had the highest gambling losses of any municipality in Victoria.
A staggering $1.4 billion has been lost on electronic gambling machines (EGMs) in Brimbank in the past 10 years.
To break it down further, an average of $391,518 was lost to EGMs in Brimbank every day during the 2018-19 financial year.
Brimbank City Council has long been lobbying for better regulation of the gaming industry and continues to partner with the Alliance for Gambling Reform to pursue wider systemic reform.
- Read our Electronic Gambling Reform Brochure
Brimbank is calling for:
- $1 maximum bets on all EGMs;
- Reducing the maximum number of hours that gaming venues can operate per day;
- A 'sinking cap' on the number of EGMs in Brimbank (which would mean that if machines are removed from one venue, they cannot be re-installed into another venue); and
- Research to better understand the local impact of harmful gambling.