Public art enhances our community and open spaces. A diversity of contemporary art forms in our environment encourages us to reflect on our area’s unique heritage, aspects of our neighbourhoods, and aspirations of our communities.
In Brimbank, we’re proud of our public art commissions and work with artists. We aim to:
- Enliven and enhance public buildings and public spaces
- Create a strong feeling of identity, public pride and ownership of public spaces
- Improve the quality and design of public spaces
- Create landmarks that will become natural gathering spaces
- Provide a focus for local pride, history and storytelling
- Animate and enrich public spaces
- Reflect the rich diversity of our community.
Art Spaces Activation Partnership Funding
Funding is currently available for art projects aimed at engaging the community of Brimbank. Artists and arts practitioners working across any arts disciplines can apply for Art Spaces Activation Partnership Funding.
Up to $2000 of funding is available for each project. Apply Now!
Projects coinciding with cultural events like Cultural Diversity Week or Reconciliation Week are highly encouraged as are projects in public spaces like paste ups, public performances and the extension of any existing arts projects.
Art Spaces Activation Partnership Funding aims to provide a supportive and collaborative platform where artists can partner with Council in art programs and projects that benefit the Brimbank community.
Artists from greater Melbourne and across Victoria are eligible to apply so long as the project takes place within Brimbank.
For further information contact the Art Spaces Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 9249 4600.
Expressions of Interest are open for exhibitions at the Hunt Club Community and Arts Centre and Sunshine Art Spaces for 2018.
We're seeking proposals from individuals or groups. We encourage curators, artists, and community groups to apply.
So if you have a creative visual arts practice and you live in the west this may be the opportunity for you! Apply now!
For further details please see the Exhibition EOI forms. For enquiries contact the Arts and Culture Unit on 9249 4600.
Brimbank Art Spaces
Are you an emerging or established artist? Check out the variety of art spaces and studios across Brimbank.
Studio terms are for two years at a subsidised cost of $26 per week.
We encourage resident artists to engage with our community through their practice, and also participate in our broader arts and culture program.
This studio program aims to provide:
- Artists with an opportunity to extend and develop their practice in a community setting;
- A platform for our residents to engage with artists; and
- Low cost studio spaces in Brimbank.
Sunshine Art Spaces Gallery
As part of the Brimbank Art Spaces program the activity in Sunshine is part of the regeneration of the Sunshine Town Centre. We want to encourage our residents to:
- Bring activity to the centre;
- Contribute to our urban renewal; and
- Create a sense of vibrancy and creativity.
The Sunshine Art Spaces project is about revitalising, stimulating and activating the arts in Sunshine Town Centre by:
- Providing affordable spaces and training for artists to establish creative businesses
- Generating employment opportunities for artists so they can work within their local communities
- Introducing activity, enlivening and bringing more people into Sunshine Town Centre and increasing economic activity
- Raising the profile of the arts, demonstrating value to the local community
- Occupying buildings that may otherwise be vacant, helping to minimise any vandalism.
Studio spaces are periodically available. To enquire about future availability please contact the Arts and Culture Unit on 9249 4600.