Public art enhances our community and open spaces. A diversity of contemporary art forms in our environment encourages us to reflect on our area’s unique heritage, aspects of our neighbourhoods, and aspirations of our communities.
In Brimbank, we’re proud of our public art commissions and work with artists. We aim to:
- Enliven and enhance public buildings and public spaces
- Create a strong feeling of identity, public pride and ownership of public spaces
- Improve the quality and design of public spaces
- Create landmarks that will become natural gathering spaces
- Provide a focus for local pride, history and storytelling
- Animate and enrich public spaces
- Reflect the rich diversity of our community.
Melton Highway Level Crossing Removal - Indigenous Art Project
An exciting opportunity is currently open for an indigenous artist to create a mural at the former level crossing site on the Melton Highway at Sydenham.
The project is a partnership between Council and the Level Crossing Removal Authority.
Brimbank Art Spaces
Check out the variety of art spaces and studios across Brimbank.
Studio terms are for two years at a subsidised cost of $28 per week.
We encourage resident artists to engage with our community through their practice, and also participate in our broader arts and culture program.
This studio program aims to provide:
- Artists with an opportunity to extend and develop their practice in a community setting;
- A platform for our residents to engage with artists; and
- Low cost studio spaces in Brimbank.
Sunshine Art Spaces Project
Since opening in August 2012, Sunshine Art Spaces gallery has held various solo and group shows. Located at 2 City Place, Sunshine, the gallery is a multi-functional space suitable for exhibitions and art workshops.
Contact the Arts Spaces Officer about availability on 9249 4600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.