What is Building?

A Building Permit is written consent from a registered Building Surveyor. It:

  • Certifies that your plans have been checked and that they comply with Building Regulations
  • Indicates the main stages of building work that must be inspected to ensure compliance with the approved drawings
  • Provides for a final inspection to determine whether the building is suitable for occupation.

Please note: even if a building permit is not required for some minor work, the owner of a building or land must still comply with building regulations.

You might also need a planning permit for your proposed building work (including fences, antennas, masts, carports, garages and the removal of vegetation).

Before commencing any building works, alterations, additions or demolition work, we suggest you check to see if you require a permit. You can do this by contacting Building Services:

Our Building team provides a wide range of services and can help you with:

  • Issuing building permits
  • Information about pool fencing
  • Maintenance of fire safety equipment
  • General and technical advice
  • Property information
  • Copies of plans
  • Building complaints
  • Council Reports and Consent applications.

We're committed to providing information to help you understand building regulations, and how they may affect you in your own home or workplace.

Owner Builders

We define an Owner Builder as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building.

Things to think about before becoming an owner-builder

  • In Victoria, an owner-builder can only build or renovate one property every five years and must intend to live in the property once completed.
  • If the value of the proposed domestic building work is more than $16,000 (including labour costs and materials), you must apply for a certificate of consent from the VBA to become an owner-builder.
  • If you sell your home after carrying out building work valued at more than $16,000, you continue to be liable for any defective works for six-and-a-half years from the completion of the work.
  • You must purchase domestic building insurance before entering into a contract to sell your property. This insurance covers future owners for defective works if you die, disappear or become insolvent.
  • You must get relevant planning permits from your local council, and be named as the owner-builder on permits.
  • It is your responsibility to ensure that the work meets building regulations, standards and other laws.
  • You must arrange for building inspections as required by law at particular stages of the building work.

Government Departments that provide further assistance

Forms and Applications

Information Sheets 

For more information, please contact Customer Service: