Land use and development in our municipality is controlled through the Brimbank Planning Scheme. The Planning Scheme is policy-based, reflecting the objectives identified in our Council Plan and Council adopted strategies and policies.
- Any revision to the Council Plan
- A new direction resulting from a strategic study.
The last comprehensive review of the scheme was completed in 2012, however minor amendments are made on an ongoing basis.
Municipal Strategic Statement
The Municipal Strategic Statement (MSS) forms part of the Brimbank Planning Scheme.
Note: to view the Municipal Strategic Statement you will need to click on the link above, then download the Brimbank Plannning Scheme, and go to page 141 of the document. The link to download the document is located half way down the page on the right hand).
The MSS provides a strategic vision for our future by setting out objectives for prospective land use and development in our area. It sets out land use directions through policy themes, objectives, strategies and guidelines, such as:
- Natural environment
- Built environment
- Retailing and activity centres
- Industrial land use
- Transport and infrastructure
- Community and leisure facilities.
Amending a Planning Scheme
We regularly undertake amendments to the Brimbank Planning Scheme. Planning schemes set out policies and provisions for use, development and protection of land. The steps in the amendment process are outlined in the The Planning and Environment Act (1987) and may take 12 months or more to complete.
A planning scheme amendment is a statutory process that can be technically complex. We have to seek authorisation from the Minister for Planning to commence and prepare an amendment. Final approval from the Minister is also required.
Our responsibilities include:
- Initiating or assessing requests to change the planning scheme
- Preparing amendment documentation
- Requesting the Minister’s authorisation to prepare and exhibit an amendment
- Exhibiting the amendments
- Processing submissions and representing council at planning panels (if required)
- Adopting/modifying/abandoning the amendment and forwarding (where adopted) it to the Minister for approval.
There’s no right of review if:
- We decide not to support a request for an amendment
- If the Minister refuses to authorise the preparation of an amendment
- If the Minister refuses to approve an amendment submitted for approval.
The Minister for Planning can amend any planning scheme at any time without exhibition, and has guidelines for these circumstances. However the Minister usually consults with affected landowners and us before an amendment is approved without formal notice.
Current and Gazetted Amendments:
Our Planning Scheme and gazetted amendments can be viewed on the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.
For current amendments see our Planning Scheme Amendments page.
For more information about Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendments, please contact our Strategic Planning Unit:
- Phone: (03) 9249 4000
Last updated 02/03/2017