C200 Part 2 - September 2019 update
The Planning Panel proceedings have concluded. The Panel will now review all the submissions and materials presented and prepare its report. The Panel report records the considerations and recommendations of the Panel.
The role of a Panel report is to:
- Record the outcome of the public consultation process involving exhibition, submissions and Hearing
- Provide an independent assessment of the issues arising from that process
- Provide recommendations about the decisions that should be made.
The Panel will prepare its report and lodge it with Council within 30 business days. The report must be released to the public within 28 days of council receiving it.
C200 Part 2 - August 2019 update
Expert witness reports:
- Brimbank C200 Panel Expert Witness Report N Schmeder
- Brimbank C200 Panel Expert Witness Report of B Raworth
Council’s submissions to the panel:
- 6.1 Brimbank C200 Part 2 Explanatory Report Post Exhibition and Part A Website
- 6.3 Brimbank C200 Part 2 Incorporated Document Grand Junction Estate and Matthews Hill Precinct Statement of Significance Post Exhibition and Part A Website
- Brimbank C200 Part 2 43.01 Post Exhibition Changes Website
- Brimbank C200 Part 2 72_04s_brim post exhibition Part A Website
- Brimbank C200 Part 2 Instruction Sheet Post Exhibition Website
C200 Update - May 2019
Please note: Directions Hearing (Planning Panels Victoria) to be held at 10am on Friday 19 July 2019 at the Brimbank Community and Civic Centre, 301 Hampshire Road, Sunshine (Level 6 – events space).
At its Ordinary Council Meeting of 21 May 2019, Council considered submissions to Planning Scheme Amendment C200.
The Amendment proposes to implement the recommendations of the Grand Junction Estate and Mathew’s Hill Precinct Heritage Study (updated 2018) by applying the Heritage Overlay (HO151) to the Grand Junction Estate and Environs Precinct, Sunshine and the recommendations of the Half House, 108 George Street, St Albans Heritage Assessment Report (Updated 2017) by applying the Heritage Overlay (HO152) to the St Albans Half House, 108 George Street, St Albans.
The amendment also proposes to amend the Schedule to Clause 43.01 (Heritage Overlay) of the Brimbank Planning Scheme and Planning Scheme Map 12HO to apply the Heritage Overlay (HO151) to land within the Grand Junction Estate and Matthew’s Hill Precinct, the Canary Island Palms located in the Victoria and Robinson Street reserves and the street tree planting at the junction of Hill, Drayton and Matthews Streets.
Key parts of Council’s resolution are listed below. Please see the Council Report and attachments for the full resolution:
- Split Amendment C200 to the Brimbank Planning Scheme into two parts as follows:
- Part 1 – 108 George Street, St Albans; 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19 Whitty Street, Sunshine.
- Part 2 – the Grand Junction Estate and Matthews Hill Precinct excluding 108 George Street, St Albans; 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19 Whitty Street, Sunshine.
- Abandon Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendment C200 – Part 1, and notifies the Minister for Planning.
- Note the important role Half Houses played in the development of St Albans, and endorse the commissioning of a Half House Typological Study.
- Requests the Minister of Planning to appoint a Planning Panel to consider all submissions to Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendment C200 – Part Two, as at Attachment 2 to the [Council] report, with the exception of submissions 1 and 3 (which relate to 108 George Street, St Albans), in accordance with Section 153 of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Request the Minister of Planning remove the properties at 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 21 Whitty Street, Sunshine; 4-6 Servante Street, Sunshine; and 108 George Street, St Albans; from Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendment C202 (Interim Heritage Overlay), and provides a copy of the Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendment C200 Strategic Assessment Report, at Attachment 3 to the [Council] report, to support this request.
Council notified all submitters and landowners/occupiers parties of its decision on 30 May 2019
For information about Planning Panels, please refer to Planning Panels Victoria’s FAQs.
Amendment Documents as exhibited:
- Brimbank C200 Notice of Preparation of Amendment Exhibition
- Brimbank C200 Explanatory Report Exhibition Final
- Brimbank C200 Instruction Sheet Exhibition Final
- Brimbank C200 43_01s_brim_track_changes Exhibition Final
- Brimbank C200 72_04s_brim_track_changes Exhibition Final
- Brimbank C200 Grand Junction Estate and Matthew’s Hill Precinct Statement of Significance Incorporated document Exhibition Final
- Brimbank C200 Incorporated Document - Half House, 108 George Street, St Albans Statement of Significance Exhibition Final
- C200 Grand Junction Estate and Matthews Hill Fact Sheet
- Brimbank C200 Grand Junction Estate and Matthew's Hill Precinct Heritage Study Exhibition
- C200 Brimbank Half Houses Assessment
Brimbank Planning Scheme Amendment C202 – Interim Heritage Overlay (replacing Amendment C197)
Council’s request to the Minister of Planning for an interim Heritage Overlay (Amendment C202) remains outstanding.
Under the Building Act 1993, this means Council is unable to process any demolition applications in the Grand Junction estate and Environs Precinct, Sunshine, and Half House 108 George Street, St Albans.
This applies to both ‘contributory’ and ‘non-contributory’ buildings. If the interim Heritage Overlay is approved, a planning permit would be required for future demolition applications.
Council will advise affected land owners in writing once the Minister of Planning makes a decision about the interim heritage overlay.
If you require any more information about the proposed planning scheme amendments please contact the Strategic Planning Unit 9249 4000.