Homelessness takes many forms. It includes people living on the street or in cars (‘rough sleeping’), staying temporarily with other households (‘couch surfing’), or living in severely overcrowded dwellings. Brimbank has the highest incidence of homelessness in Melbourne’s west, and the largest number of people accessing specialist homelessness services in Victoria.
Council’s response to homelessness
Preventing and responding to homelessness is the responsibility of all levels of government. In late 2019, Council commissioned a research report into homelessness in Brimbank. The project aimed to address gaps in our local understanding of homelessness, and to clarify the role Council can play to improve outcomes.
The report’s recommendations have been compiled into an implementation plan, which is aligned with Council’s COVID-19 Response and Recovery Strategy. The implementation plan includes actions focused on a range of topics, including advocacy, community education, Council protocols, information provision, and research and data collection.
Provides after hours information and emergency accommodation for people experiencing an immediate homelessness crisis.
- Open 9am-11pm, seven days per week
- 1800 627 727 available 24 hours a day, 7 days per week
- 29 Grey Street, St Kilda
Information for current public housing tenants, potential social housing tenants and anyone wanting to know about housing in Victoria
For local enquiries
For general and after hours enquires
The following offers further information and assistance:
- Printable version of the above listed Homelessness support services (.pdf 134kb)
- Supporting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness (.pdf 536kb) - this guide provides information on a range of health, legal, housing and support services. Developed by the Assertive Outreach Network.
- Western Homelessness Network Emergency Relief – this guide provides a list of support services and resources for people in the West Metro Area of Melbourne (under ‘Practitioner Resources’ section).
- Council to Homeless Persons - the peak body representing organisations and individuals in Victoria with a commitment to ending homelessness.
- North & West Homelessness Networks - is made up of over 200 programs that are funded to provide assistance to people experiencing, or at risk of homelessness.
- Victorian Council Of Social Services - the peak body for the Victoria’s social and community sector.
- Tenants Victoria - a support organisation providing information, advice and legal representation for Victorians who rent their homes.