Planning for the Solomon Heights Estate
We're starting a project to unlock the development potential of the Solomon Heights Estate, in Sunshine North. This will lead to preparation of a Precinct Plan that will address and protect the Estate’s environmental significance, and enable appropriate future development.
More About Solomon Heights
The Estate includes 32.8 hectares of industrially zoned land (Industrial 3 Zone) in North Sunshine and lies on the east side of the Melbourne to Sydney freight line, close to the North Sunshine Industrial Precinct and River Valley Estate.
Created in the 1920s the land was subdivided and sold to owners without roads and services. Today it comprises 465 lots with approximately 120 owners, and remains undeveloped.
The key barrier to development of the Solomon Heights Estate is the presence of significant flora and fauna protected under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC), and state significant vegetation.
Under the Brimbank Planning Scheme, an interim Environmental Significance Overlay (ESO) applies to parts of the Estate to protect this vegetation.
To remove protected vegetation you would need to apply to the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Energy for permission.
Biosis Consultants have completed a biodiversity study that:
- identifies the location and quality of vegetation within the Estate;
- recommends a minimum area of conservation value that should be protected; and
- informs on potential management options.
- Read the Solomon Heights Biodiversity Project Report.
Planning for the Future of Solomon Heights
More strategic work is planned to look into options for the site's future use and development. This will include workable solutions to address and protect the Matters of National Environmental Significance (MNES). A grant from the Victorian Planning Authority’s Streamlining for Growth program will support this work.
Insight Planning has been engaged to lead this work, which will result in a draft Precinct Plan for the site.
The process to prepare the Solomon Heights Precinct Plan will:
- Investigate options for the protection and conservation of the area of environmental significance, including guidance for the location and provision of native vegetation off-sets;
- Satisfy relevant Federal and State environmental legislation including liaison with the Department of Environment and Energy (Federal Government) and the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (State Government);
- Include engagement with landowners and community consultation;
- Identify and review future development plans; and
- Deliver an Implementation Plan and including the identification of the preferred land use option.
Have Your Say
We welcome your thoughts and ideas on Solomon Heights.
- Come to our Open House Drop-in Session at Brimbank Community and Civic Centre, 301 Hampshire Road on Wednesday 19 April, 5-7pm.
- Complete our short questionnaire (below).
Your input will provide important background information that will inform the strategic process.
For further information Contact Council’s Strategic Planning Department on 9249 4000.
Last updated 23/03/2017