Cr John Hedditch (Mayor)
“We moved our family to the area over 30 years ago because of what was - and still is - Melbourne’s best community!”
- 0428 811 580
- Brooklyn Community Representative Group
- LeadWest Ltd. Board
- Australia Day Awards Selection Committee
- Social Justice Coalition – Strategic Implementation Group (SIG)
- Sunshine Leisure Centre Community Consultative Committee
What is your connection to Brimbank?
My connection first began when I met my wife Pauline in QLD in 1970. Pauline’s family have lived in the local area since the late 1940s.
I began visiting the area in the 1970s and in an ongoing way after we married and lived in Canberra until 1983. In late 1983 we returned to live and work in Melbourne with our children.
We chose the Brimbank area (then the City of Sunshine) because of family connections but also because of the great Community that was and remains in Melbourne’s West – Melbourne’s BEST!
What do you think is the greatest strength of the Brimbank Community?
Its people and the vibrant community networks that make it a great place to live.
What are your greatest concerns for Brimbank?
- Disengaged youth; Aboriginal people
- Health and wellbeing status of the community
- Liveability of places/suburbs with population growth and low investment (comparatively) in community infrastructure
- Education – quality and access from pre-school to post graduate
- Environmental issues – air, water land and climate change.
- Economy and jobs – innovative economic gardening
- Connections – transport, internet and social activities.
What made you decide to run for Council?
It was an ongoing desire to help make the world a better place for our future generations.
What do you hope to achieve in your term as a Brimbank City Councillor?
- A Council driven by values and community priorities i.e. Good governance after a fresh start- Community First.
- A Council collaborating well with all its key stakeholders.
- A fair and equitable approach to developing Brimbank’s different wards.
- A greener Brimbank.
- More appropriate development – more balanced Community First approach.
What is your favourite thing to do in Brimbank?
Eating at the Hampshire Road restaurants, walking in the parks, visiting people’s homes and the library.
Last updated 12/07/2017