The Audit and Risk Management Committee is one of our advisory committees. It was established in accordance with section 139 (2) of the Local Government Act 1989.
Audit and Risk Management Committee Role
The role of the Audit and Risk Management Committee is to facilitate:
- The integrity of external financial reporting including accounting policies;
- The scope of work, objectivity, performance and independence of both the external and internal audit functions;
- The provision of effective communication between the external auditor, internal auditor, management and the Council;
- The establishment, effectiveness and maintenance of controls and systems to safeguard financial and physical resources;
- The systems and processes designed to ensure compliance with relevant laws and regulations and consideration of best practice guidelines;
- The strategic risk management framework; and
- The systems and processes which protect against fraud and irregularities including the Protected Disclosures Act 2012 procedures.
Audit and Risk Management Committee Responsibilities
The committee's responsibilities are set out in the Audit and Risk Management Committee Charter (adopted September 2015).
Information on Committee Members
Michael Beer - Independent Chair of Audit and Risk Management Committee
Michael Beer was appointed as independent Chair to the Audit and Risk Management Committee in 2011.
Michael is currently Director of Beer and Co Pty Ltd and Company Secretary of Aphrodite Gold Ltd. He has previously served as director of various mining and financial services corporations. He has extensive experience in finance, accounting, audit, strategic planning, corporate governance and risk management.
Michael is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and an Associate of the Governance Institute of Australia.
Ben Dunlop – Independent Member
Ben Dunlop was appointed as an independent member to the Audit and Risk Management Committee in 2016.
Ben has had experience serving on both boards and audit, risk and finance committees for government, not-for-profit, and corporate, including Hawthorn Football Club.
Ben is a qualified Certified Practicing Accountant (CPA) and currently holds the role of Senior Management Accountant at Monash University. He also has a Masters in Business Sports Management.
Linda MacRae – Independent Member
Linda MacRae was appointed as an independent member to the Audit and Risk Management Committee in 2011.
In addition to serving as an independent member on several local government audit committees, Linda is currently a director of Local Solutions Pty Ltd, providing financial management, governance and administration consulting services to local government.
Linda has held senior management roles in local government in financial and information system management, governance and community service management. Linda was also previously a lecturer in local government law, corporate planning and financial accounting.
Linda has Local Government Business Qualification, Municipal Clerks Certificate, Vocational Certificate of Teaching and several financial management and information technology related qualifications.
Councillor Margaret Guidice
Councillor Guidice represents Taylors Ward.
Councillor Lucinda Congreve
Councillor Congreve represents Grasslands Ward.
Following a tender process, we appointed Crowe Horwath Melbourne as our internal audit services provider in March 2014, for a three year term.
Last updated 27/03/2017