We're obliged to follow the Best Value Legislation, section 208A of the Local Government Act 1989; which requires all councils to apply its principles to all services they provide. The legislation was introduced in 1999.
Best Value Legislation
These principles state:
- All services must meet quality and cost standards
- All services must be responsive to community needs
- All services must be accessible to those for whom they are intended
- A council must achieve continuous improvement in its provision of services
- A council must develop a program of regular consultation with its community in relation to the services it provides
- At least once every year a council must report to its community on what it has done to ensure that it has given effect to the Best Value Principles.
All councils were required to apply these principles to all services provided on or before 31 December 2005. The ministerial codes guiding the implementation have since been revoked, but the legislation itself remains in place.
We adopted the Business Excellence Framework, to provide best value to the community and establish a culture of continuous improvement.
Business Excellence Framework
The Business Excellence Framework outlines the essential leadership and management elements we need to follow, to achieve sustainable excellence in delivering services to you.
- Creates and supports an environment for continuous improvement
- Provides a basis against which we can monitor our progress towards the achievement of excellence in service delivery
- Addresses our key systems and processes
- Is regularly reviewed to ensure its relevance and usefulness in our changing environment.
Best Value at Work
To ensure best value is delivered to our community, we embedded the principles into everyday activities, like procurement. Additionally our council and business planning processes have a strong focus on the principles outlined in the legislation.
To ensure value for money Council services undergo robust budgeting processes annually; this practice is supported with continuous improvement activities including service and process reviews.
Best Value isn’t just something we do – it’s the way we work.