Council has made two (2) Local Laws that act as secondary legislation for the City of Brimbank. The Local Law No. 3 is Governance related, and Local Law No. 2 relates to the safe and fair use of the municipality by the community. The Local Laws are made under section 111(1) of the Local Government Act 1989.
General Local Law No. 2 2018
The purpose of this Local Law is to provide for the:
- Administration of Council powers and functions
- Protection, safe and fair use and enjoyment of Council property
- Safe and fair use of streets, roads and footpaths
- Protection, maintenance and enhancement of the amenity of the municipality to a standard that meets the general expectations of the community
- Keeping and control of animals, on land and on Council property, and
- Uniform and fair administration and enforcement of this Local Law.
View the Local Law No. 2 on our Local Laws Page.
Governance (Major Policy Consultation) Local Law No. 3 2014
This Local Law enables Council to determine whether a policy is, or is not, a 'major policy' and prescribes a public consultation process to be followed when the Council proposes to make, amend, modify or revoke a 'major policy'.
The purpose of this Local Law is to:
- Provide for some policies of Council to be designated as major policies
- Prescribe the procedure to be followed before making, amending, modifying or revoking a major policy
- Promote transparency of decision-making
- Promote best practice in governance processes, and
- Provide for the peace, order and good government of the municipal district.
There are currently eight (8) major policies that fall under this Local Law:
- Community Services and Infrastructure Plan 2018 to 2038
- Community Capital Development Major Policy 2016
- Community Facilities Hire, Licences and Leases Policy and Guidelines (Major Policy) 2016
- Community Facilities and Reserves Allocation Policy and Guidelines (Major Policy) 2014
- Community Grants Policy (Major Policy) 2014
- Councillor Support (Major Policy) 2020
- Loan Repayment Reserve for Interest Only Debt (Major Policy) 2015
- Sports Facility Hire, Licences and Leases Agreement Policy and Operational Guidelines (Major Policy) 2014