Information and Health Privacy

The Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001 guides how Council will collect, hold, use and disclose your personal and health information.

Collection of private and health information

Feeling uncomfortable about sharing your personal information with us? Ask why it's being collected.

We can only collect health information if it’s necessary, and when it’s given:

  • By consent
  • As required by any law
  • To prevent or reduce serious and imminent harm to any person
  • Any other reason as prescribed in the Health Privacy Principles of the Health Records Act 2001.

Disclosure of personal and health information

Your personal information and health information will not be disclosed to anyone unless:

  • You tell us we can
  • The disclosure is related to the purpose of collection and you would expect us to disclose the information
  • The law requires us to disclose the information.

Some laws allow us to disclose your information in certain circumstances, such as

  • When your neighbour (or neighbour’s agent) requires your contact details for the purpose of contributing to the cost of a fence, which adjoins your properties
  • Contacting the ratepayer of a property(ies) for building protection works notices pursuant to the Building Act 1993
  • Contacting the owner(s) of a property(ies) to obtain approval for Council Report and Consent to construct on our adjoining property under Part 4 of  the Building Regulations 2006.

If you require any of the information above, you will need to complete and submit the Application for Ownership/Property Information Form.

Using your personal and health information

Your personal information can only be used by us for the reason for which it was collected, or a directly related purpose.

This means we cannot collect your personal information or health information for one purpose and then use it for another, unrelated reason – unless the Information Privacy Principles or the Health Information Principles allow us to do so.

Accessing and correcting your personal and health information

You can request to access your personal information, and request that we correct your personal information.

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 gives you the right to request an amendment of your personal information if we have an inaccurate, incomplete, out of date, or misleading record.

How do I make a complaint if I think my privacy has been breached?

If you think we have compromised the privacy of your personal or health information, or a member of our team has, you can make a complaint. Please forward the details of your complaint to: