Are you an educator interested in teaching your students about the environment and sustainability? Are you interested in developing sustainable strategies and taking action at your school or organisation?
There are a number of ways we can support you.
Brimbank Teachers Environment Network (BTEN)
Join the Brimbank Teachers Environment Network and participate in professional development workshops that will inspire you and other teachers to engage with students on environmental and sustainability issues.
The network meets twice a year. All are welcome including, school staff, educators, teacher aides and playgroup leaders – at no charge.
Sustainability webinars for schools
As part of the Environment Department’s innovation package of initiatives, Council adapted its existing teacher professional development workshops into a series of professional development webinars, including the provision of online support materials for teachers. The webinars were facilitated by Cultivating Community, an organisation with 25 years’ experience in school food programs and covered growing food in school and food waste recycling.
To join our Environmental Educators email list contact our Environmental Education team at Environment@brimbank.vic.gov.au. You'll get updates on environmental education resources, competitions, awards, and more,
Our Environment Team can provide information and advice to help with your school or group’s environmental projects. Make an enquiry using our Environmental Education Request Form.
Environment Schools Bulletin
Stay up to date with programs offered to schools. Join our Environment Schools Bulletin!
Schools Sustainability Resources
The following Schools Sustainability Resources have been developed to support you.
Biodiversity School Resources (Foundation - Year 6)
You can also book at no charge our amazing Volcano Dreaming 12 panel panorama. It'll help you teach your students about the complex biodiversity of the Western Volcanic Plains.
Energy School Resources (Foundation - Year 6)
Waste and Recycling School Resources (Foundation - Year 6)
Water School Resources (Foundation - Year 6)
Sustainable Systems School Resources (Foundation - Year 6)
Factsheet: Growing food at school
- Sustainable Gardening in Brimbank: a free local plant species guide to help with habitat gardening and weed identification.
- ResourceSmart AuSSI Vic Schools: a program developed to help schools and their communities become more sustainable.
- Environmental Education Victoria: has services including the ResourceSmart Schools program in Brimbank. Become a ResourceSmart School and get a dedicated facilitator to work with your school on your sustainability actions.
- Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden: offers advice and support on building a kitchen garden at school.
- Water Watch: a community engagement program connecting you with river health, and water sustainability and management.
- Cool Australia: has high quality educational content and educational materials including units of work and lesson plans that are learning ‘recipes’ for teachers to follow.
- Ecolinc: Offers onsite, outreach and field trip programs for Foundation to Year 12, and teacher PDs.
- Schools Water Efficiency Program (SWEP): Fun and engaging water education for schools.
- City West Water: Has classroom incursions, Do-It-Yourself presentations, curriculum resources and downloadable classroom worksheets.
- Melbourne Water: Run the River Detectives Program and Virtual Tours of the Western Treatment Plant as well as lessons plans, water-saving tips for schools, frog census, platypus census.
- CERES: The Sustainability Hub is a great place to connect, share and learn what’s happening in the sustainable education space.
- Bird Surveys: Register your school or group to join the Aussie Backyard Bird Count
- Planet Ark – The Planet Ark Recycling Near You website has recycling information and resources like bin signage, posters, as well as ideas and activities to get your school involved in National Recycling Week.