Council has undertaken a review of the two strategies that relate to heritage planning in Brimbank: the Heritage Strategy 2012 - 2015 and the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Strategy 1997.
Draft Heritage Strategy 2018 - 2023
The preparation of the Draft Heritage Strategy 2018 - 2023 (draft Strategy) has been informed by a workshop with the members of the Brimbank Heritage Advisory Committee, land owners of heritage assets in Brimbank, and an online survey.
The draft Strategy has been developed in accordance with Municipal Heritage Strategies: A Guide for Council’s, which is produced by Heritage Victoria and promotes the development of heritage strategies around four themes:
- supporting and communicating; and
The draft Strategy proposes a five year plan to conserve, protect, and maintain the city’s heritage buildings, places and objects including a program of heritage gap studies, potential amendments to the Brimbank Planning Scheme, promoting opportunities for heritage tourism, and improving heritage information.
Draft Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Strategy 2018 - 2023
Preparing the Draft Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Strategy 2018 - 2023 included engagement with members of the Wurundjeri Land and Compensation Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Council Corporation, the Boonwurrung Foundation, and Aboriginal Victoria.
Key issues highlighted included
- the need to update the policy framework to reflect current legislation and support for statutory recognition; and
- inclusion of sites of Aboriginal heritage in the Brimbank Planning Scheme.
The Draft Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Strategy 2018-2023 also includes a five year program that will
- support improved protection of Aboriginal heritage,
- auditing Aboriginal Cultural Heritage information and items owned by Council, and
- improving cultural awareness of the Wurundjeri, Boonerwrung and Bunurong peoples, across Council and the community.
How to Provide Feedback
Submissions must be received by 5pm 26 October 2018.
- Filling out our online form on this page;
What Happens Next?
After this consultation period, a further report will be presented to Council regarding the results of community and stakeholder consultation. The Final Draft Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Strategy 2018 – 2023 and Final Draft Heritage Strategy 2018 – 2023 which will also be presented for Council’s consideration.