The current General Local Law 2008 ends on 1 January 2018.
A draft General Local Law 2018 has been developed, and is now available for your feedback. Submission closes 21 September 2017.
You can also get copies at our Customer service centres.
- Wednesday 6 September 2017, 11am-1pm: Keilor Library, Keilor Community Hub, Old Calder Highway, Keilor
- Saturday 9 September 2017, 9-11am: International Gardens Reserve (off leash dog park), Cordelia Grove, St Albans.
Purpose of the draft General Local Law 2018
- Administration of Council powers and functions
- Protection, fair use and enjoyment of Council property
- Safe and fair use of streets, roads and footpaths
- Protection, maintenance and enhancement of the amenity of the City of Brimbank to a standard that meets the general expectations of the community
- Keeping and control of animals, on land and on Council property
- Fair and consistent administration and enforcement of this local law.
Key amendments in the draft General Local Law 2018
- Proposed clauses to regulate
- the use and maintenance of nature strips
- the removal, damage, destruction or lopping of a significant tree
- the maintenance of land and buildings, together with providing powers to Authorised Officers for issuing directions and infringements
- the management of vacant land, with respect to the erection and maintenance of fencing where necessary. The proposed clause also provides Authorised Officers with the power to issue directions and infringements
- alcohol in public places, preventing both consumption and possession of alcohol in unlicensed areas without a permit
- smoking in public spaces, providing Council with the power to declare smoke free areas within the municipality
- the management of trade waste, including location, storage and collection requirements
- Revised clause which enables Council to permit and govern the sale of goods from mobile vehicles. The clause also provides for the regulation of busking in the municipality
- Proposed clauses which
- regulates filming in a public place for a commercial purpose, public exhibition or as part of a course conducted by a tertiary institution
- prohibits clothing recycling bins on Council land
- provides for the impounding of recreational vehicles used on Council land
- regulates the placement of shipping containers on Council land
In accordance with section 223 of the Local Government Act 1989, you can make a written submission on the proposed Local Law.
Anyone who a makes a written submission should also indicate if they wish to be heard by a Hearing of Submissions Committee, in support of their written submission.
The Hearing of Submissions Committee meeting will be held at 6pm on 2 October 2017 at the Brimbank Community and Civic Centre, 301 Hampshire Road, Sunshine.
Written submissions must be received by 5pm on 21 September 2017, and can be sent via:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Att: Manager City Compliance)
- or Post to :
Manager City Compliance
Brimbank City Council
PO Box 70
- Or use our online form on this page