Brimbank Council is seeking community feedback on the draft Neighbourhood Character Study (the Study).
Brimbank City Council's strategic direction for housing is to ensure the urban environment supports a growing population in designated areas while respecting neighbourhood character, where appropriate.
The State Government also requires councils to address character (and design) by incorporating character and deisgn objective into existing residential zoning schedules as part of the planning schemes. To enable this, Council has prepared the Draft Brimbank Neighbourhood Character Study (draft Study) and now invites feedback.
The draft Study describes the existing character of our residential areas and suggests how the future character (or design) should look.
The draft Study proposes rules that could apply to your land and may influence how you and your neighbours build and develop residential land in the future. This draft Study does not propose to change the current zoning of your land.
The benefits of the draft Study are that:
- The design objectives to be achieved for an area are made clear for both residents and developers
- There is greater certainty in the planning system and less ambiguity
- There are cues to the siting, design and scale of development in a neighbourhood
- Guidance is provided to those developing land through provisions in the Brimbank Planning Scheme
- There is guidance to assist in retention or celebration of key features in a street or neighbourhood.
To find out what is proposed for your property:
- Look for your property within the draft Brimbank Neighbourhood Character Study Character Types Map to find your Character Type.
- Refer to the relevant ‘Character Type’ in the Neighbourhood Character Summary Booklet
- Call Council’s Strategic Planning Unit for more information 9249 4000.
- Attend one of our drop-in sessions to find out more, or have your say.
- Tuesday 30 July, 1.30–3pm at the Keilor Library
- Wednesday 31 July, 4pm–7pm at the Sunshine Library
- Thursday 1 August, 10am–12noon at the Sydenham Library
- Thursday 1 August, 4pm-7pm at the St Albans Library
- Saturday 10 August 1–3pm at the Deer Park Library
How to Provide Feedback
Fill out our online form on this page.
Request a hard copy form by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (Attention Strategic Planning)
Provide your completed feedback form at the above drop-in sessions.
Submissions must be received by 11.59pm, 5 September 2019.
If you prefer, you can request a hard copy form by emailing: email@example.com (Att: Strategic Planning).
Call Council's Strategic Planning Unit for more information on 9249 4000.
What Happens Next?
After the period of consultation, Council receives a report outlining any submissions made on the draft Neighbourhood Character Study May 2019, and will then consider the adoption of a final draft Neighbourhood Character Study 2019.