Sunshine was identified as one of seven National Employment and Innovation Clusters (NEICs) in Plan Melbourne. The Sunshine NEIC is a 20 square km area around Sunshine Hospital and extends from the Sunshine Metropolitan Town Centre to the St Albans Town Centre.
The Sunshine NEIC is recognised for its potential to attract a critical mass of tertiary education, health-related training and healthcare providers, government agencies, retail and professional services, and its capacity to grow significantly.
Sunshine Health Wellbeing and Education Precinct (SHWEP)
The Sunshine Health Wellbeing and Education Precinct (SHWEP) is located within the Sunshine NEIC, and is an established and growing location for medical, health, community, education and research services.
The SHWEP is centred on Sunshine Hospital, and includes the Western Centre for Health Research and Education and the Joan Kirner Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
Western Rail Plan, Melbourne Airport Rail Link and Sunshine Super Hub
As a focus for significant transport investment, including implementation of the Western Rail Plan and the delivery of the Melbourne Airport Rail Link and Sunshine Super Hub, the Sunshine NEIC has the potential to attract significant investment and development, providing greater employment and business opportunities.
Major public and private investments
Major public and private investments in the Sunshine NEIC includes
- $1 billion for Regional Rail Link (for Sunshine Station, two level crossing removal, pedestrian overpass and transport interchange);
- $52m Brimbank Community and Civic Centre including the Western Business and Education Development Hub;
- Victoria University’s new $35m Sunshine Skills Hub;
- $44m Constructions Futures Training Facility;
- $25m VicRoads regional office; and
- $43m stage one mixed-use Foundry Towers development.
Photo credit: Western Health