Heart Foundation Walking is fun and social and a great way to be active, with many benefits for your health. Best of all, it’s free! It's Australia's largest network of community-based walking groups and there are already people walking in your area.
Find a Heart Foundation Walking Group near you.
Joining or starting a walking group in your area or workplace is a great way to get active and meet new people. Every walking group is different: varying in size, duration of walk, level of difficulty, and meeting times and places. No matter your fitness level, age or location, you can join a walking group today!
Benefits of Walking
Walking for an average of 30 minutes or more a day can lower the risk of heart disease, stroke by 35% percent and Type 2 diabetes by 40%.
It’s not just your heart and muscles that benefit from walking. Regular physical activity can help:
- reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke
- manage weight, blood pressure and blood cholesterol
- prevent and control diabetes
- reduce your risk of developing some cancers
- maintain your bone density, reducing your risk of osteoporosis and fractures
- improve balance and coordination, reducing your risk of falls and other injuries
- improve our daily mood which cumulatively leads to better mental health