Events, Private Function or Activities in a Council Park or Reserve

Private Functions on Council Reserves

Brimbank's parks and open spaces are public land which means you're able to use them for activities as long as it's consistent with the Local Law. We look after sportsgrounds, parks and reserves.

Personal Training in Brimbank

If you are wanting to conduct personal training sessions on Council land then you must obtain a permit. Read more at Personal Training in Brimbank.

Brimbank Events Handbook

Our Brimbank Events Handbook has codes of practice and legislation for running your event including our permit application process, permit requirements and essential information for organisers.

Do I need an Event Permit?

As part of our Bushfire Relief support, Brimbank Council will absorb any event permit fees for community groups and community members who wish to hold fundraising events supporting registered and not-for-profit organisations that provide bushfire relief funding or activities.

To protect the reserves and for public safety, any event or private function with shade structures, jumping castles, or other structure and equipment you need an event permit.

You will need an event permit for a private function or ceremony on council land if 

  • it has more than 60 people and/or a: 
  • shade structures, jumping castle, animal farm and other equipment.

An event permit for a function event/special activity on a reserve will require - 

  • an event permit application;
  • an application and/or permit fee;
  • Public Liability Insurance;
  • a site plan;
  • a risk management plan; and 
  • other supporting documentation depending on the nature of the event.

You don't need a permit for small birthdays or Christmas parties on council land with

  • less than 60 people; and/or 
  • not involving any structures (eg shade structure, jumping castle), equipment or special activities 

If you want to run private functions please choose a district park with onsite amenities (inc toilets). Small neighbourhood reserves(i.e.: across the road from the family home) are not suitable and may expose attendees to traffic hazards.

To hire reserves for one-off functions or events call us on (03) 9249 4000 or email

Contact Parks Victoria on 13 19 63 for information about the hire or use of areas managed by Parks Victoria.