The City of Brimbank has welcomed 600 new Australians at the largest ever citizenship ceremony in the municipality’s history.
Mayor Cr Lucinda Congreve said welcoming new citizens to the `Super Saturday’ ceremony at Victoria University Convention Centre on Saturday (26 October) was a significant celebration of Brimbank’s diverse multicultural community.
Vietnam has the biggest representation with 245 citizens, followed by India with 85 citizens, and then Philippines with 27 citizens. There is also a significant spread of new conferees across all ages, people in their 80s right down to toddlers.
"Today marks a new chapter in the lives of these new citizens who come from more than 50 countries, and have decided to call Brimbank, home.
“Brimbank’s vibrant culture has been shaped over generations by migrants who left their native countries for new beginnings, and this is still continuing today” Cr Congreve said.
Cr Congreve said citizenship was a common bond that united all Australians.
“Our rich history stems from the contributions made by all of us,” Cr Congreve said.
“New citizens bring the best of themselves and their heritage to create a fresh future here in Brimbank and beyond.
"For my fellow councillors and I, it's an honour to be involved in such an historic citizenship ceremony and be a part of such a special moment in the lives of our new residents.
"One of the greatest strengths of our city is that we have more than 160 different nationalities.
“Brimbank is truly one of the most multicultural and socially diverse communities in Australia, and one that continues to be a place that attracts families.
"As the fastest growing urban municipality in Australia, we look forward to the contribution these new citizens will make to our great city," Cr Congreve said.
List of Nationalities: Citizenship Ceremony 26 October 2019
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- FYR Macedonia
- Korea, South
- Northern Island
- Papua New Guinea
- Russian Federation
- Sri Lanka
- Syrian Arab Republic
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- Yemen, Republic of
- FYR Macedonia
Facts on Brimbank
- The City of Brimbank is located in the western and north-western suburbs of Melbourne. Suburbs within the municipality include Cairnlea, Deer Park, Keilor, St Albans, Sunshine, and Sydenham.
- Brimbank’s population is 208,945; a figure estimated to grow to 230,187 by 2041.
- 47.8% of Brimbank residents were born overseas.
- More than half of all Brimbank residents speak a language other than English at home; specifically, 58.4% of Brimbank residents speak a language other than English at home.
- Most residents were born in Vietnam, followed by India, Philippines and Malta.
- Brimbank welcomes around 1500 new citizens at ceremonies every year.
- The municipality is one of the fastest growing urban areas in Australia.
- Melbourne’ proposed airport rail line will come through Brimbank and includes the Sunshine Super Hub as a major station connecting regional and metro Melbourne to the Airport.