Register Your Pet

Pet Registration

You can now register your pet online! Use our Register a Domestic Animal form. It's easy! Or you can visit one of our Customer Service Centres.

All dogs and cats in Brimbank over 3 months old must be registered, microchipped, and desexed. You’ll need to provide copies of desexing certificates and microchip number(s).

We charge registrations annually and they must be renewed by 10 April each year.

Pensioner Discount

If you're an eligible pension card holder, you get 50% off pet registration!

Life Long Tag

Grab a life long tag for your pet with our New/Replacement Life Long Tag Form. It's only $8.50.

What if my pet has passed away?

If you’ve paid your registration fee and your pet passes away, there are two options:

  • If you are going to adopt another pet, we can transfer paid fees to the new animal. You may wish to have the tag replaced at a cost of $8.50.
  • You can apply in writing for paid registration fees to be refunded.

Note: Fees are not refundable after 30 June.

Pet Registration Renewal

We send out registration renewal notices at the same time each year.

If your details need updating, complete the back of the renewal notice and return to us - via email, fax, mail, or in person.

Pay your pet registration or animal permit renewal by

  • Using our Online Payment Gateway
  • BPAY - via phone or website of your financial institution (Biller Code: 134452. Reference no. for payment appears on your renewal notice)
  • In person at our Customer Service Centres
  • In person at Australia Post using cash, credit/debit card, cheque, or EFTPOS
  • Using Australia Post PostBillPay or 13 18 16
    • Billpay Code: 2325
      Reference no. for payment appears on your renewal notice
  • By posting a cheque or money order to:

Brimbank City Council
Rates and Payments
PO Box 70
Sunshine 3020 


Your dog or cat may be exempt from desexing if:

  • You have written advice from your vet that your animal’s health will be negatively impacted if desexed.
  • You're a current member of an Accredited Applicable Organisation and your animal is registered with that organization (current membership and pedigree certificates must be provided).
  • You conduct a domestic animal business under which dogs or cats are used for breeding purposes.
  • It is a dangerous dog, kept as a guard dog for non-residential premises.
  • It is a dangerous dog that has undergone protection training in accordance with any relevant Code of Practice made under section 59 of the Domestic Animals Act.
  • It is a working or farm dog.


Pet Registration Fees

Discounted fees




Microchipped and desexed


Cats exempt under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 from any requirement to be microchipped and desexed


Life-long tag fee

Lost your life-long tag? Use our online tag replacement form.





Microchipped, desexed and obedience trained

(Must be from state government approved obedience training organisations)


Microchipped and desexed


Microchipped or desexed and over 10 years of age


Dogs exempt under the Domestic Animals Act 1994 from any requirement to be microchipped and desexed 


Guard Dog


Customs Dog (tag fee only)


Life-long tag fee

Lost your life-long tag? Use our online tag replacement form.


Greyhounds registered with Greyhound Racing Victoria (doesn’t include GAP dogs)


Assistance Dogs, e.g.: Guide Dogs (proof required)


Keeping a Cockatoo or a Galah

You need a permit to keep a cockatoo or galah in Brimbank. Only the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo and Galah can be held without an Advanced Wildlife Licence.

Keeping Pigeons

See table on this page for amount allowed.

Multiple Pet Permits

You need a multiple pet permit if you have:

  • More than two cats
  • More than two dogs
  • More than six (6) different species of animal;
  • Any agricultural animal unless the land is securely fenced and has a minimum size of 2 hectares for the first animal and a further 0.5 hectares for each additional animal.
  • More than the maximum number of animals (see table below);

Use our Excess Pet Permit Application Form.



Non-farming land:
Maximum number allowed without a permit

Farming land: 
Maximum number allowed
without a permit

Maximum allowed in a multi-residential
development (
multi-story apartment blocks, townhouses, units)    



6 2



4 2

Pigeon (racing)


100 Not permitted

Pigeon (other than racing)



Not permitted

Poultry (chickens, ducks, geese,
peafowl, pheasant, guinea fowl, turkey)


No limit

Not permitted


Not permitted


Not permitted

Birds other than specified 

60 100 5
Agricultural Animal
(goat, sheep, pigs, horses, cattle, livestock)

Not permitted

Amount of animals is related to property size;
must be a minimum size of 2 hectares for the first animal and a
further 0.5 hectares for each additional animal.

Not permitted

You can find out more about our Animal Services in ArabicVietnamese or Cantonese or call our Customer Service Centre on 03 9249 4000.