The Innovative Reconciliation Action Plan July 2019 – July 2021 supports Council’s vision for reconciliation, and embraces unity and respect between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and other Australians. Council understands that our reconciliation journey requires strong leadership and a willingness to listen acknowledge and lead positive change.
This is Council’s second Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP):
- Developed in consultation with the Brimbank Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Consultative Committee, Traditional Owners groups, local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
- Builds on the strengths and achievements of the first Reconciliation Action Plan 2013 – 2017.
- Outlines priority actions unique to Brimbank.
- Explores new opportunities for action.
- Used within Council to build relationships, show respect, and create opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
The RAP themes and strategic directions are:
Building and maintaining strong, meaningful and respectful relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and network groups.
Demonstrating respect to the people and the culture of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander as a commitment towards reconciliation.
Working in partnership with other relevant stakeholders to ensure that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have equal access to local opportunities.
In April 2012, Brimbank City Council adopted its Reconciliation Statement of Commitment which laid the foundation for the first Reconciliation Action Plan (2013-2017). Both the Statement of Commitment and the RAP have contributed to our reconciliation journey.
Since the development of the first RAP in 2013, Council established the Brimbank Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Consultative Committee to provide advice on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander issues and to provide advice on the ongoing implementation of Council’s current and future RAPs.
Reconciliation Action Plan – Community Report Card
The Reconciliation Action Plan Community Report Card keeps you informed about the implementation of the RAP.