The Community Strengthening Policy provides the context for our actions and commitment to building stronger, more resilient communities.
It contains information that guides our support for Brimbank's individuals and community groups to increase civic participation, and ensure robust, accessible and democratic local organisations.
We've identified community strengthening as a way of exploring more engaged, ‘joined-up’ and networked approaches to governance and policy-making.
Council will be guided by 10 principles when planning and delivering our services and activities:
- Availability and affordability
- Accessibility and equity
- Valuing and respecting diversity
- Social and economic inclusion
- Social connection, wellbeing and lifelong learning
- Valuing community contributions
- Strengthening and valuing community leadership and participation in local decision making
- Informing and responding to the community
- Advocacy and partnerships
- Continuous improvement and sustainability.
Council adopted the Community Strengthening Policy at an Ordinary Council Meeting on 14 October 2014.