We want to acknowledge the Victorian communities who are facing incredibly difficult circumstances caused by the bushfires sweeping our state.
How we're providing support
On behalf of our city, Brimbank Council is donating $10,000 to the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund which will quickly get the money to those who need it most.
As part of our relief support, we'll absorb any event permit fees for community groups and community members who wish to hold fundraising events supporting registered and not-for-profit organisations that provide bushfire relief funding or activities.
We're planning a community movie and barbecue on Australia Day night at Kevin Wheelahan Gardens, which provides another opportunity for donations for bushfire relief.
How you can help
We’re also calling on our community to show your support so we’ve set up collection boxes in a number of our facilities for those who would like to contribute.
Donation tins can be found at:
- Sunshine Customer Service Centre, 301 Hampshire Road, Sunshine
- Sunshine Library, 301 Hampshire Road, Sunshine
- Sydenham Library, Ground floor of Sydenham Community Hub, 1 Station Street, Taylors Lakes
- Sunshine Leisure Centre, 5 Kennedy Street, Sunshine
*No receipts can be issued for donations made to the tins.
There are a range of organisations people may wish to donate to.
Anyone wishing to make a tax deductable donation, may donate directly to the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund, to the State Government’s Victorian Bushfire Appeal by donating at any Bendigo Bank branch or online, to Food Bank Australia, or to the Australian Red Cross.
To support the wildlife rescue organisations, you can donate here:
Staying up to date
- Download the Vic Emergency App from the Google Play or App store, to stay up to date with emergency warnings and updates in your area.
- For air quality warnings and updates, visit The Victorian Environmental Protection Agency website
- Some people are more sensitive to smoke than others. To stay up to date with smoke in your area and how to protect your health, visit the BetterHealth Channel.