Voter Entitlement Information

Road sign indicating elections ahead - against outline drawing of a city

The next local council elections will be in October 2024.

In a council election there are 2 types of voters:

  • State-enrolled: A person enrolled with the Victorian Electoral Commission.
  • Council-enrolled: Ratepayers who are property owners, occupiers or corporations enrolled with council.

You have one vote in Brimbank City Council. If you are a state-enrolled voter, that is the enrolment you use to vote

State-enrolled voters

You must enrol and vote if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • are an Australian citizen
  • have lived at your address in Brimbank City Council for longer than one month.

For more information visit the VEC website.


Council-enrolled voter eligibility

Some ratepayers can apply to become council-enrolled voters in Brimbank City Council if they are:

Owner ratepayers

  • you own property and pay rates in the Brimbank area
  • are 18 or older
  • are not a state-enrolled voter who lives in Brimbank City Council.

This includes:

  • Australian citizens who own a property in Brimbank City Council
  • but do not live in the area (for example an investment or a holiday home)
  • non-citizens over 18 who own a property and live in Brimbank City Council
  • Up to 2 ratepayers can apply to enrol per property, but each person only gets one vote.

Occupier ratepayers

  • pay rates for a property that you occupy but do not own
  • are 18 or older
  • are not a state-enrolled voter.

Up to 2 people per property can apply to enrol, but each person only gets one vote.


  • you are a director or company secretary of a corporation that pays rates in the Brimbank area
  • have consented to being appointed as the corporation’s representative
  • are not already a state-enrolled voter or council-enrolled voter for the same council.

Only one person can apply to enrol as the corporation’s representative.


Resigning your enrolment

If you don’t want to vote for that property anymore, you can apply to resign your enrolment.

Expiry of enrolment

Occupier ratepayers’ and corporations’ enrolment expires before the next local government general election.

If you want to continue to vote, you must apply to enrol again before the next local council general election (2028).

Apply to be a council-enrolled voter

If you meet any of these criteria, you can contact us to apply to enrol

Once you are enrolled, you must vote for the October 2024 elections and onwards. If you don’t vote, you may get a fine.

For further information:


Last updated: 13 March 2024 - 2:43pm