Noise complaints

Young woman looking frustrated with hands over ears

The regulation of noise across Victoria and the responsible authority is complex in nature and it can be difficult to know where to start.


Residential Noise

If you are affected by residential noise, you should firstly speak with your neighbours making the noise about your concerns. This often helps resolve the matter quickly and amicably.

If you are having trouble speaking with your neighbour, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can provide advice and may be able to assist with mediation services.

If you live in a body corporate or apartment, you should speak with the manager of the Owners Corporation.

If the noise is still a problem, or you are uncomfortable confronting your neighbour about ongoing noise, you can report the issue to Council.

Ongoing noise issues

In order for Council to investigate ongoing noise, you will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Where the noise is coming from
  • Who or what is making the noise
  • How long the noise can be heard
  • How often you can hear the noise
  • What the noise sounds like
  • Where you can hear the noise, and
  • How the noise is affecting you

You will also be asked to complete a noise log for a minimum period of 2 weeks. This can be done by completing a manual nuisance log sheet or by downloading The Noise App


When investigating the issue, Council officers will assess if the noise is unreasonable by taking into account:

  • The volume and intensity of the noise
  • What the noise sounds like – its character
  • The duration
  • Time and place and circumstances
  • How often it occurs. One-off events are not regarded as unreasonable

Council may take a number of different actions to help resolve the issue.  The initial step will be to provide education and advice. Often they may not be aware that they are making unreasonable noise.

Council will aim to balance the needs and reasonable expectations of all residents within the scope and limits of relevant laws. Council’s assessment of the noise will not include how annoying the noise is.

Barking Dogs

Noisy dog disturbing your neighbourhood? Try talking to its owner first. Often they’re not at home when the dog's barking, so they may not realise there's a problem. Just letting them know gives the owner a chance to resolve the issue.

More information for neighbours and owners of Barking Dogs.

Loud Parties

For a domestic noise complaint, such as loud parties or if a noisy neighbour is threatening you, it’s best to contact the police.

Domestic Power Appliances and Tools (Mowers, whipper-snippers, drills, etc.)

There are certain times when you cannot use power tools in a residential area, such as early mornings on weekends. These are outlined by the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations.

The Environmental Protection Agency's Noise Fact Sheet has helpful information on:

  • Prohibited times on weekdays and weekends for music, power tools, mowers, etc.
  • Prohibited times on weekdays and weekends for construction on worksites in a residential area
  • Industrial noise 
  • Traffic noise problems
  • Noise from entertainment venues.
Last updated: 7 June 2024 - 12:10pm