Report and consent (protection of public regulation 116)

In accordance with Regulation 116 of the Building Regulations 2018, precautions being constructed over the street, road or footpath must be taken before and during building work to protect the safety of public as part of the building permit process.

If you require the report and consent (Protection of the Public Regulation 116) you'll also need a footpath occupation permit to install the precautions.

Footpath Occupation Permit

If works aren't associated with a building permit then a footpath occupation permit is only needed for (wholly or partially) a road/footpath for any works that involve:

  • fencing off part of a footpath/road;
  • erecting a hoarding, scaffolding or overhead protective awning;
  • using a mobile crane or travel tower for any building works; and
  • occupation of car-bays

How to apply

Complete a Report and consent under regulation 116 and/or footpath occupation (PDF 433.8 KB)

  • Refer to the checklist on page 3 of the application to help you with the documentation that must accompany your application.

How to apply for an extension of time

Complete an extension of time to a footpath occupation (PDF 250.2 KB)

  • Ensure your application is made prior to the expiry of the issued permit.

Submitting your application

Submit your completed application with the relevant documentation via:

  • Email:
  • Mail: PO Box 70, Sunshine Vic 3020, or
  • In person: Customer Service Counter, 301 Hampshire Rd, Sunshine 3020

We'll assess your application within 10 working days. We'll send you an invoice upon assessment of your application.

All application fees are on the application form. The fee depends on the scope of works, the duration of the works and the area of Council land required.

For more information on Report and Consent under Regulation 116 and/or Street Occupation please contact:

Last updated: 30 October 2023 - 1:10pm