Food Premises and Safety

Under the Food Act 1984, you must notify us of your business before you can start trading.

Your food business registration always applies to the period of 1 January to 31 December, even if you apply late in the year. Registration must be renewed annually prior to 31 December each year. Penalty fees may apply if you do not pay by the due date.

Pay your registration/renewal

Special Cases

Businesses operating from a residential address

If your business operates from a residential address, you can only be registered if the areas where food is prepared are completely separate from the domestic household. 

Mobile Food Premises

These include

  • Relocatable tents
  • Stalls
  • Mobile vans
  • Vending machines.

Since July 2011 there's a state-wide single registration system that enables market stalls, other temporary premises, food vans, and food vending machines to operate anywhere in Victoria. See Streatrader for more information.

The stall, van, or machines are required to:

  • Be annually registered with the municipality in which the premises is based
  • Lodge a statement of trade, specifying details of where you will trade.

We can inspect food vans, stalls, and food vending machines in line with our policies.

Temporary Food Vendor Application and Community Group Activities

Please contact our Environmental Health team for information on Temporary Events and Sausage Sizzles on (03) 9249 4919, or email

Transfer of Existing Food Business

If you purchase an existing food business, you must transfer the business's current Food Act Registration to your name. We recommend that you organise an inspection of the premise prior to purchase.


Food sold within the municipality must be safe and suitable for human consumption. Inspections enforce:

  • Clean food premises
  • Satisfactory food handling practices
  • Safe storage, manufacture, cooking, and display of food.

We also conduct investigations in response to food complaints. Call Council's Environmental Health team on (03) 9249 4919 during business hours.

Training and Safety Programs

Food Safety Online Training

All staff must complete the online Do Food Safety Program. It provides basic knowledge in food safety and handling.

Compulsory Food Safety Programs

All Class 2 and 3 food businesses in our municipality must have a Food Safety Program in place before commencing a new food business, or transferring an existing food business.

The Food Safety Program is a document that establishes, monitors, and records all your procedures and systems to ensure that all food you sell is safe. This document must be available on-site at all times if requested by one of our team members.

Businesses currently using the old Department of Health Food Safety Program template Version 1.0 will need to update to Version 2.0.

All Class 3 Food Businesses in our area are required to keep minimal Food Safety Records. Please contact the Environmental Health Department if you require a copy.

Food Safety Supervisor

Each Food Safety Program must have an appointed Food Safety Supervisor. This Supervisor must have a certificate at the required competency standard relevant to your industry.

You can search for training in your area on the Short Courses Victoria website by entering ‘food safety’ in the ‘find a course’ section.