Home Business

Running a home business? You can only have one employee that does not reside at that address on site. You also need to make sure there is adequate separation of domestic and business activities: such as a suitably fitted out spare room or garage.

Home Business - Do I Need a Permit?

You will need to apply for a Planning Permit if you don't meet all of the requirements for a Home-based Business.

Some home occupation activities can be run from your house with minimal disruption and so don't require a building permit. However if you're changing the use of a building, or making significant structural change, then a Building Permit will be required.

Impact on Surroundings and Residents

Your home business activities cannot adversely affect your neighbours.

As you develop your home occupation, you must consider the impact it may have upon surrounding properties including noise, odour or other emissions.

Items such as waste bins, mechanical exhaust vents, air-conditioning units, and lighting should not have a negative impact on the surrounding area or cause a nuisance.

Annual Fee

Premises that are required to register with us must pay an annual fee.  The fee depends upon the type of business activity. The period of registration is from 1 January to 31 December each year.

For more information, please contact the Environmental Health Department on 9249 4000, or email: info@brimbank.vic.gov.au.